A diary of the self-absorbed...

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Why Me? I'm busy!!!

Ok folks. I'm a gamer and I use a headset to play for a couple of reasons. First of all, I tend to play into all hours of the night -- meaning I have to have something to keep the noise of blowing things up with my virtual rocket-launcher to a minimum. Second, I use team speak software, so I need a mic built into my headset in order to bark commands and reveal enemy locations to my team, which more often than not, is comprised of members from across the globe.

I have to tell you that after almost a decade of this behavior, nobody makes decent headset. They've all got the same basic issue that any pair of headphones you've ever purchased has -- the wire that leads into the ear piece eventually gets frayed and starts to cause the sound to crackle. It always happens. On every set I've bought, with every brand name I've ever tried, and at every price point that I've been able to find.

It's a crock. I have never had a headset last me more than nine months, even the very best ones. The cheap ones might go three months before they start giving way.

I know what you're thinking -- go wireless. First of all, should I have to? I mean I can get 80,000 miles or better out of my tires and $40 a piece. I can barely get through 300 hours of gaming on a headset of equal value. Second, have you ever tried to find a wireless headset with a microphone in Oak Ridge? Go try it. You can't find squat in Oak Ridge when it comes to quality electronics. You've got Walmart and Staples.

So drive to Knoxville, right?

Forget it. The last set I bought at CompUSA (now out of business in K-town) didn't work worth a crap. Besides the fact that I don't want my neighbors hearing me on their own cordless phones as I scream bloody murder about being beaten to death with a virtual shovel, I just don't dig the cordless stuff because you never know when a battery is going to give out, or a flare from our sun is going to feed your brain with static.

So why do I have to be the guy to go out and design a decent gaming headset? I don't have the time and people with training could do it much faster than me. You know whoever designed such a thing would be an instant millionaire because I don't know a single gamer who sings the praises of their quality headset. Everyone that plays regularly replaces their set annually.

Come on you brilliant people. Get rich for crying out loud! The market is begging for something decent and I don't have the time to do your job for you, no matter how rich I could get off of it.

Maybe I will train one of my kids to start thinking along these lines. By the time I'm 55 and they graduate from college, perhaps the fruit of my own loins can get out there and build something that doesn't fray at the entry to the earpiece. And I'm thinking my kids could do it for less than a million bucks in profit too.

ACK!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment